Friday, June 7, 2013

First Days

I have been in Shanghai for about 3 days already and so far and I have learned quite a few things since I arrived:
  •  Roads are so dangerous. I know that I am suppose to walk in groups while crossing the street but even in a group you can still get hit. It has only been three days and I already have had so many encounters with cars/ buses/ motorcycles just inches away from running me over.  I have since learned to stay in between at least 2 or 3 people on each side when I walk. 
  • Chinese people speak really fast even if it is obvious (at least I think it is) that you cannot speak the language.  During the time I spent interacting with the locals it seems like Chinese people do not slow their speech for foreigners as American tend to do.  I used to think it was rude to speak mockingly slow to foreigners but now I have changed my perspective on that completely.
  • Every other sound I hear are the honking of cars.  I am convinced that drivers in China spend more time honking their horns than actually driving.  I wake up to the sound of car horns and go to bed with the exact same sounds.  Actually, I am writing this post to the sound of car horns.
  • The weather is always humid. 
  • Women dress very nice.  From what I see from roaming around People's Square, women typically wear a sundress and a cardigan with nice shoes and bag.  I rarely saw anybody in jeans.
  • The toilets in China are so much different from in America.  Although some areas have western toilets, most of the toilets I have went to are in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment