Friday, June 7, 2013

Google Works!

For the past few days I have been trying to figure out how to use Google in China, I am happy to say that I finally found out how to get Google to work. Before I got Blogger to work I wrote my blog entries in a journal so here.



6/2/13
So here I am sitting at Frankfurt airport waiting for my connecting flight to Shanghai.  While I wait, it has finally hit me that I am alone. I will be thousands of miles away with no family or friends to rely on.  Excitement is turning to nervousness but I know that whatever happens is all part of the experience.  Sitting here for 5 hours gives me an opportunity to ponder how I might change during my ten weeks in Shanghai.  Based on the list of “Why you Should Study Abroad” will I actually gain independence, a “new perspective” on life, as well as a better understanding of the culture and language?  Looking at the list makes me wonder, “will I really enter Shanghai one person and leave it another person? “ or will I just be the same person who just traveled to China for a few weeks.  When I look back on this post in late August I hope I can identify with the former.
Currently I am sitting next to A LOT of Chinese people engaged in their conversations.  As I sit eavesdropping on their conversations I am even more aware of my inadequate Chinese listening skills because I didn’t understand a thing, other that the obvious 你,我,他,and occasional random words here and there.  Two years of Chinese and I don’t have the slightest clue of what is being said.  I hope in the airport coming back from China I am able to successfully eavesdrop on conversations.

6/4/13
I arrived!  But why is it so humid here? 
I just had my first conversation with one of the locals.  He was actually the security guard in front of the international student dorm.  Turns out I had to have my acceptance letter from Fudan to get into the building which my program manager failed to send me.  So I just used the words I knew and formed a sentence which may or may not be grammatically correct.  I said “我每有卡因为我是新学生”.  He said something and wouldn’t let me in.  I must’ve stood there saying “每有卡“ and “新学生”for 10 minutes before he gave up and just let me in.  I really like my dorm room.  Just large enough for me to live and not only does it have a private bathroom and AC but also a balcony!  There is also a convenience store on the first floor of the building.  Why can’t UMW dorms be like this?




6/5/13
Today I roamed around Fudan’s campus and I was mistaken for an actual Chinese speaking person!  Feels good. 
 Fudan’s campus (at least I think it is part of the campus) is amazing. It is a large campus but it doesn’t seem that way because the campus is so interesting.  The buildings are fairly large, people air-dry their clothes on their balcony’s, some scenic places, people playing basketball, a number of shops placed in the middle of campus with stores ranging from food type items to a shop solely for buying badminton and tennis related items! They’re also a bunch of stores just outside of campus.  So convenient!
(I did not bring my camera while I walked around so I will take/post pictures later)


No comments:

Post a Comment